Built in 1894 by W.E. Touchstone as a rental house, this little building was home to several families until 1918. At that time, due to the needs of the increasing number of early automobile dealerships located in the West End, the structure was adapted for use as a service station until the 1960’s, often with resident managers.
Abandoned for many years, by the 1970’s it had become an eyesore and detracted from the entrance to the newly developed Reedy River Falls Historic Park. Through the efforts of Carolina Foothills Garden Club, a member of the Garden Club of America, in partnership with the City of Greenville, the property was purchased and the building restored as closely as possible to the original. The stucco applied during the service station era had bonded so tightly with the porous brick that it was impossible to remove, and the original brick on the front and sides of the building is permanently covered over. The second story windows on the front, shorter than those on the sides, suggest that the roof of a porch ran under them the length of the front façade. Originally, there were four working fireplaces and two chimneys. Extremely steep stairs to the second floor had to be redesigned to meet current building codes.
Once restored and named “Falls Cottage”, it has been open to the public, housing in succession the Metropolitan Arts Council, Greenville Arts Guild Gallery, Tours around Greenville South, the office for the initial fundraising for the Peace Center for the Performing Arts and Cottage Cuisine Restaurant. Since 2004, the Cottage has been occupied by Mary’s at Falls Cottage, an upscale catering business and restaurant. Falls Cottage is often the setting for weddings, rehearsal dinners and other events hosted by Mary’s catering business.